Sunday, April 2, 2017

Feet Haven: Ancient Tradition with a Modern Twist

Media Invite

How often do you spot seedy looking foot reflexology parlours located within rundown shophouses or obscure corners of old shopping centres and pass by without a second glance? If you were to ask me, I'd say - quite often. Although I am no stranger to the experience of foot reflexology, I have some serious trust issues and only visit a parlour if it has been recommended by a friend or boasts good reviews.

For the uninitiated, reflexology, also known as "zone therapy", is an alternative therapy involving gentle manipulation or pressing on certain parts of the foot to produce an effect elsewhere in the body. This mixture of healing art and science is based on the premise that an energy channel encompassing 12 vital organs exists from the feet to the top of the head. This technique is said to relieve pain, headaches, anxiety and stress, as well as increase blood circulation and boost energy. Other than enhancing general wellbeing, it is thought to be able to cure colds and other minor ailments.

When I received a kind invitation from the good folks at Feet Haven to receive a 60-min foot massage, I checked out the website and reviews and was pleased with what I came across. And the invite couldn’t have come at a better time. As a full-time working mom of twin toddlers, I am on my toes every waking minute of the day. And that particular week had left me completely knackered. A busy work week, multiple exercise regimens, meeting up with ex-colleagues, a friend’s wedding and taking the kids to a water park and then the beach had resulted in my legs feeling like lead. I was in dire need of some serious R&R.


Founded in April 2011, Feet Haven Reflexology is a boutique Foot Reflex spa offering foot reflexology and body massages to its customers. There are three outlets located in the trendy enclaves of Katong, Upper Bukit Timah and Serangoon Gardens. With its crisp fresh interiors and chilled out vibe, Feet Haven aims to banish the dull, old-fashioned reputation of foot reflexology parlours that typically attract an older clientele. The boutique spa has been generating major buzz especially among the younger crowd comprising mostly of students, young working professionals, bloggers and new parents. Accolades have naturally followed: Feet Haven was awarded the Best Foot Massage by Harper's Bazaar Spa Awards 2013 and named Best Value Simply Her Foot Spa by Simply Her in the same year. It has also been featured in popular publications including 8 Days, Cleo, Mother & Baby, Young Parents and Eastie Brekkie.

Soon after my toddlers went down for their afternoon nap, I made my way to the nearest outlet. Feet Haven’s newest offering at Bukit Timah is tucked away in a quiet little recluse of Jalan Bingka, Bukit Timah, away from the madness of the city.

As I entered the spa, the calming music playing in the background and essential oil scents wafting in the air came together to create an instantly pleasant and soothing environment.




Offering a whole range of services under one roof,  Feet Haven aims to alleviate stress and restore customers’ well-being with their therapeutic services of body treatment and reflexology.

Signature standout treatments include the 60-minute Shiok Feet Indulgence; 60-minute Shiok Basic Body and 45-minute Shiok Basic Blend of a shoulder- and neck massage coupled with foot reflexology.


I was shown to a comfortable massage chair and my feet were placed in a tub of warm water for a while before the session began. Ben, the masseuse was welcoming, cordial and put me at ease immediately. The massage was done in a methodical, nimble and unhurried manner in the midst of friendly banter. The hour-long massage felt utterly relaxing and rejuvenating as my feet were kneaded into willful submission. I know how many people find foot reflexology painful but it never has for me. Although I do have high pain tolerance, I don’t think that a foot massage done when right should leave you wincing in pain. It is a good idea to let the masseuse know if certain areas of your foot feels tender - communication is important.

I was taken by surprise when during the massage, Ben correctly identified that I hadn’t been sleeping well at night. The truth is, I’ve had a nasty bout of insomnia for the past few months and had been trying (quite unsuccessfully) to get back my regular sleep routine. I must say that after the reflexology session, I haven’t had a single instance of insomnia. Rather, I have been sleeping through the night like a log. Hurray to that!

After the foot massage, I was offered hot chrysanthemum tea which was refreshing.



My verdict:
The quality of the service, ambience, customer service and overall experience at Feet Haven was very impressive and I would readily recommend it to anyone looking for a good massage. The therapy goes beyond alleviating sores and aches....it feels downright fantastic and improves your mental and emotional state. Killing two birds with one stone methinks  ðŸ™Œ

So, if you’re pondering about which foot reflexology establishment to head to, your answer is right here. Feet Haven redefines foot reflexology as a bona fide hipster activity to indulge in.

Put your best foot forward 😊

Happy Feet

Feet Haven
Upper Bukit Timah
5 Jalan Bingka, S588899​
(Off Rifle Range Road, On the way to Temasek Club)
Ph no: +65 64630506 or +65 96566947
Opening Hours: 11am to 11pm

East Coast (Katong Branch)
#01-01, 136 East Coast Road S428821
(opposite Bee Cheng Hiang and Glory Catering; Along same stretch of shophouses as Brotzeil Restaurant)
Ph no: +65 6344 7311 or +65 96566947

Serangoon Gardens
4A Maju Ave S556682
( Above Geylang Claypot and opposite MyVillage Shopping Centre)
Ph no: +65 62882314 or +65 96566947

E-mail: feethaveneastcoast@gmail.com
Website: Click here



Cheers,
Megha


Disclaimer: The opinions in this post are solely my own. I have not received any remuneration in exchange or a positive review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...