Friday, July 1, 2016

Recipe of the month: Easy Mango Sorbet

Yes I know....the end of the glorious mango season is upon us. It is only a matter of days before this royal fella bids adieu for the year. In my defense, I tried this recipe several weeks ago but never got time to blog it until now (lame but true).

This is a recipe I came across in a cooking-related Facebook group that I am a member of and it looked fairly simple and easy on the eye. And when I saw that it didn't require an ice-cream maker or that I had to go about stirring the frozen mixture umpteen times in a span of several hours, I was in!

My dear mum who was here last month, happened to get me a huge stash of the most gorgeous alphonso mangoes from India and so I jumped at the chance to turn them into a refreshing sorbet. What better way to beat the scorching Singapore heat? 

I don't have step-by-step photos for this recipe since I deemed it quite unnecessary. Just follow the instructions and you will be fine. Trust me okay?

That's all you will hear from me today. Gotta rush peeps. On a parting note - I'm hoping it isn't too late to get hold of good mangoes so make it, enjoy it, and if you can't then bookmark the recipe for next year 😊

Easy Mango Sorbet

Preparation time: 20 mins + overnight freezing time for the mangoes
Chilling time: 2 hours
Serves: 2-3
Recipe category: Dessert
Recipe level: Easy
Recipe source: Adapted from here

Ingredients:

Volume of 1 cup = 250ml

1 cup fresh mango chunks (I needed 2 medium-sized alphonso mangoes)
1/4 cup condensed milk
8-10 medium-sized kaffir lime leaves
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice, Optional
4-5 medium-sized fresh mint leaves

Method:

1. Choose a variety of mango which is pulpy and has very few fibers. Cut the mango into medium sized chunks and put them in a zip lock bag and freeze overnight.

2. In a small glass bowl, pour condensed milk and heat in the microwave for 30 sec to 1 min (depending on your microwave).

You have to make sure the condensed milk is just hot and does not bubble or burn so keep a close eye on it.

3. Wash and roughly tear the kaffir lime leaves in half into the hot condensed milk, stir and cover with a plate. Let it sit and infuse its oils for 5 mins.

4. Remove the leaves and stick the condensed milk into the freezer for 10 mins or so to quickly cool it down.

5. Into a food processor, add frozen mango, infused condensed milk, lemon zest, juice and mint leaves. Blend until smooth. 

6. If your mango is slightly on the sour side, leave out the lemon juice otherwise it will become too sour.

7. At this point, your sorbet should be quite thick (because of the frozen mango). Pour it into a freezer safe box and stick it in the freezer for at least 2 hours. I left it overnight. 

8. Scoop out and serve alongside crushed meringue, biscuits or mixed nuts.


Notes:
  • You can use orange leaves instead of kaffir lime leaves
  • I'd recommend a food processor rather than a blender as it might be a real challenge to break up the frozen mango
  • You can serve the sorbet garnished with a sprig of mint and some fresh mango chunks


Cheers,
Megha

1 comment:

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...