Sunday, January 27, 2013

Baker's Corner: Apple Cinnamon Cake


Ok so there isn't going to an elaborate prologue to this post. I'm not in the headspace to ramble today so I'm going to state my case as succinctly as possible. 

This is a cake recipe that I've posted on my blog before but since that was a modified version, I decided to keep it true to the original recipe in this post. I also decided to chuck in the step-by-step pictures because I didn't have time for that in the earlier post.

The only other thing I will say to make my case stronger is that this is one my hubby's most loved cake recipes.

Enjoy this lovely Apple Cinnamon Cake with ur favourite cuppa.

Apple Cinnamon Cake

Preparation time: 20 min; Baking time: 60 min; Cooling time: 15-20 min
Total time: Under 2 hours
Serves: 6-8
Recipe category: Dessert/Western
Recipe level: Easy
Recipe source: Adapted from Mary Berry 100 Cakes and Bakes

Cake tin required: A deep, round 23cm (9 inch) cake tin

Ingredients:

225 gm self-raising flour
2 level tsp baking powder
225 gm unsalted butter, softened
225 gm light muscovado sugar
3 large eggs
100 gm chopped walnuts
100 gm sultanas
400 gm/approx 2 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I used Fuji apples)
1-2 tsp cinnamon powder

To finish:

Light muscovado sugar, for sprinkling
Extra chopped walnuts, for sprinkling
Icing sugar, for dusting

Method:

1. Let all the ingredients come to room temperature


2. Preheat the oven to 180degC/fan or 160degC/gas4. Grease the cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking parchment paper.


3. Measure all the ingredients. Sieve the flour and baking powder.


My apologies if you cannot see in the flour....believe me, it's in there

4. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, chopped walnuts, sultanas and flour with baking powder into a large bowl and beat for about 2 min until thoroughly blended.


5. Spoon half the mixture into the prepared tin then spread the sliced apples and cinnamon powder in an even layer on top (I did two layers). Do this quickly or else the apples will start to discolor.



6. Spoon the remaining cake mixture on top, level the surface then sprinkle generously with light muscovado sugar, a dash of cinnamon powder and walnuts.


7. Place on a universal baking tray on level 2 of the oven and bake for about 40-50 min or longer until the cake is well-risen golden brown (ok...mine is a much darker brown but that is intentional - I think I mentioned somewhere that my hubby likes burnt stuff) and a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Check the cake at the 40 min mark to see how it is going.

8. Leave to cool in the tin for a few mins, then turn out, peel off the parchment and finish cooking on a wire rack.


9. Dust with icing sugar to serve.


Notes:
  • If you don't have/find muscovado sugar, you can substitute it with regular white or brown sugar
  • This cake is sweet so if you don't want it too sweet, cut down on the amount of muscovado sugar and omit the sprinkling of the muscovado sugar just before baking and icing sugar before serving
  • Never open the door of the oven in the middle of the baking process (it can cause your cake to collapse)
  • Dust with the icing sugar once the cake has cooled sufficiently otherwise you will wonder where it disappeared

Cheers,
Megha

4 comments:

  1. awesome recipe!! tried it out without eggs and it was a huge success!! I never thought cakes would be good without eggs! Thanks megha:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ur very welcome Aarathi! Good to know. I have personally never tried baking cakes without eggs. Did you skip it entirely or use some kind of substitute?

    ReplyDelete

What do you think of this post? You can leave a message to let me know. Thanks!

Please note that I reserve the right to delete any comments that I deem inappropriate, offensive, spam or self-advertising. I appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...